Aexcel Attendance at this years ATSSAAexcel had a crew attending this year’s ATSSA Traffic Safety Convention in Phoenix, Arizona in February.
Here are a few of our observations and highlights:
- Work Zone Safety has grown to become the industry’s highest priority; protecting both roadside workers and motorists.
- In fact, National Work Zone Awareness Week is April 17-21, 2023.
- Orange markings may be specified to reinforce work zone safe driving.
- Increasing painted lines to 6” is gaining attention. Greater visibility is the watchword.
- Highly reflective paint stripes improve the transition to automated vehicles.
- Retro-reflectivity (nighttime pavement markings visibility) is a hot topic.
- The new federal retro-reflectivity standard has made waves in the industry.
- This is good news for those who produce measurement equipment and those who promote durable, hi-visibility coatings.
- Staffing is more important than ever.
- We noted a large number of younger professionals. These people were well versed in the industry.
- One extra-cool machine was exhibited: RoadPrintz’s robot-painter. Their motto is “No Boots On the Pavement.” Their equipment reduces labor and speeds the application of auxiliary markings.
- Last, but not least, traffic paint materials and product availability should be back in balance this year.